Eight Weeks To Go
If you’ve accepted an offer on your home, while nothing is set in stone it’s worth starting to gather certain information. Getting your affairs in order and compiling a list of professionals to work with will stand you in good stead in the weeks to come.
- Clearly, you need to organise your onward accommodation. If you are buying a new home, ensure you have a mortgage in principle and a solicitor in place.
- Start to gather quotes from removal firms – use a member of the British Association of Removers (opens in a new window) for peace of mind. Chase up references and check their insurance, they should be liable for your property while it’s in their possession, but they may not cover boxes you have packed yourself so check the fine print.
- If you have any exceptionally valuable belongings, take them to an expert to assess the exact figure to be sure you have adequate insurance.
- Declutter. Go through every room, clearing out what you don’t need and don’t want to take with you. It’s a pain but will save so much time when you arrive.
- Start collecting packing materials – boxes, newspaper, bags etc.
- Run down your food stores, gradually emptying the freezer and larder.Tps